ADVERTISE HERE

Friday 31 January 2014

See huge short positions developing in precious metals: Jim Rogers



Jim Rogers: I own the US dollar. So I hope they are right. It worries me that you say that there is turning out to be a consensus. I like to be on the other side of the consensus. My view is that we are going to have more currency turmoil in the world and during periods like that, many people flee to the US dollar. They think it is a safe haven. It is not a safe haven, but many people think it is. I expect more turmoil. Eventually, whether it is this year or next, when everybody has flocked to the US dollar, that is the time to sell and get out.

Jim Rogers: I am not optimistic about the rupee. You constantly have huge deficits, trade deficits, government deficits and inflation. If they would make the rupee convertible, then we can find a real free market value of the rupee. I would probably be extremely interested in India and in the rupee, but as long as you have got all these blockages, with the Indian government and Indian central bank trying to control everything, you cannot have a real market. So I am not too optimistic about the rupee.
On the other Asian currencies, the Chinese renminbi in probably going to continue to be strong. There will be ups and downs, but since it has been very strong recently, it is overdue for a correction. The Japanese yen will continue to be very weak, although I bought a few recently, because there are so many shorts at the moment. I am trying to be a trader, though I am a terrible trader. So if I am trying to go long the yen, it is undoubtedly going to go down. The Hong Kong dollar is probably okay to buy.
Jim Rogers: I do not have a clue. I am not any good at that sort of a thing. I had bought SAS Airline which is a big disaster. I bought the Russian ETF. The Chinese are spending a lot of money on some parts of the economy and I am looking at places like that. I bought NTT, the gigantic Japanese blue chip, because the Japanese can now have tax-free investment accounts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment